I wanted to do an update on a side dish that I’ve been making for years, in fact I did a post on this way back in 2008. It’s an old family recipe and it would be a wonderful side dish to your Easter table this Sunday, it goes great with ham, pork, lamb or any roast you might be having.
I’ve also made it many times as a side next to a baked pasta of some sort, like lasagna, stuffed shells, manicotti, you get the picture, it goes pretty much with everything!
It’s the combination of veggies that make it taste so good, there’s Italian flat beans, yellow beans, artichoke hearts, asparagus and believe it or not lima beans, yes lima beans, they seriously make the dish along with some crispy fried bacon bits and garlic flavored olive oil.
You can use a combination of fresh and frozen vegetables, it all works!
- ½ lb of fresh Italian flat beans or green beans of your choice, steamed
- ½ lb of fresh yellow beans, steamed
- 1 lb of fresh asparagus, steamed
- 1 small bag of frozen lima beans, defrosted
- 1 bag of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- ½ lb of meaty bacon cut into small chunks
- garlic flavored olive oil, ( a must)
- extra olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In the dead of winter I have made this using all frozen vegetables but I prefer the combination of fresh and frozen.
- In a deep saute pan, cook up your bacon until nice and crispy, if there's too much fat in the pan, drain it off but leave the crispy bits and add in some of that garlic olive oil.
- Toss in all the vegetables and then it's pretty much taste as you go to your liking, more garlic olive oil, regular olive oil, salt and pepper, there's no set measurements with the flavorings, it's all according to taste!