A Homemade Decadent Gift, Mendiants

gifting mendiantsNeed a last minute gift idea? You can make these quick and very decadent little French confections called Mendiants.

I instantly got inspired to make them the second I saw them featured on the beautiful blog, Manger. They’re surprisingly simple to make and inexpensive yet they look like such a high quality treat!
mendiant toppings Gather up some dried fruit and nuts, I’m sure you have some in your pantry or cabinets already, use whatever you like, you won’t need much just a handful of each. One other component I added was flaky sea salt, the salt complimented the chocolate so well and gave it a little crunch, I highly recommend using it.

melting dark chocolateMake sure you use premium dark chocolate and slowly simmer until melted over a double boiler. I bought a 1 pound bar and was able to make 42 mendiants out of it.
mendiants Some ideas for toppings are orange peel, apricots, cranberries, golden raisins, figs, coconut, pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds and cashews to name a few. I did plump up my figs, cranberries and golden raisins by placing them in boiling water for 1 minute, make sure to dry them off.

mendiantsA little goes a long way, you can quarter your figs and cut off small slices from your apricots, you don’t even need to add as much topping as I did.
mendiantsgifting mendiants Now go find some pretty little boxes to place them in and you’re good to go!

Wishing all of you my dear readers a Very Merry Christmas! xox

Mendiants, a French Confection
 
Ingredients
  • Inspired and adapted from the blog, Manger.
  • 1 lb. premium dark chocolate, chopped
  • A small mix of dried fruits and nuts, set out and ready to go
Instructions
  1. Line baking sheets with parchment.
  2. Melt 80% of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over an inch of gently simmering water. When chocolate is melted take off the heat and add the other 20% of the chocolate, stirring until all is melted.
  3. Take a teaspoon of the melted chocolate and drop on to the parchment and smooth out a round disc shape.
  4. Only do 6 at a time,so as not to cool down the chocolate, then add your desired toppings and finish by sprinkling them with the flaky sea salt.
  5. Continue until finished, if chocolate starts to harden, place bowl over the simmering water again to melt. ( I didn't have to do it, it stayed melted and warm).
  6. Let them harden in a cool place or your refrigerator for 15 minutes, then lift off.
  7. Makes 42
Signature