There’s not one strand of real spaghetti in this pie, it’s all made with zoodles, zucchini noodles, which are still all the rage, have you tried them yet?
Leftover veggies, strands of zucchini pasta, a couple of eggs, herbs and cheese form this savory pie, cut it into wedges, serve it alongside a salad and it becomes a satisfying and healthy meal!
Just for comparison I wanted to show you my Pasta Pizza Pie, in the photo above it’s made with real spaghetti strands and leftover veggies, each of these dishes are made similar, except this time I just switched out the pasta for zoodles.
Zucchini season is peaking right now and this is just another fun way you can use some of it.
One of the ways that you can make zoodles is with a spiralizer, I love using it because it makes continual strands that are nice and curly, this is the one I use, but sometimes I just don’t feel like taking out a big gadget and then having to clean it, so I’ll use my julienne peeler instead.
The strands aren’t as long and you don’t get that continuous curl, but when wilted down a bit you can’t tell much difference, check out this older post of mine, titled Faux Spaghetti, and see what I’m talking about..
Just use whatever veggies and herbs you might have on hand, you don’t need much, I used an eggplant, some mini red pepper rings, artichoke hearts, peas, broccoli tops and onion, again it was just small amounts.
The cheese will bind it all together and form the perfect zoodle pasta pie!
- I used a 12" oven proof skillet
- 4 or 5 zucchini, or a mixture of yellow squash and zucchini, turned into zoodles
- leftover veggies of your choice, diced medium and pre-cooked or roasted
- fresh basil and parsley
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- ½ small onion
- parmesan or romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup, mozzarella cheese, shredded
- olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Create your zoodles first, then place in a big bowl, add your beaten eggs, a generous handful of grated cheese, the mozzarella, herbs and cooked vegetables, gently toss and combine everything.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of skillet, saute onion and garlic
- Add the zoodle mixture and let the bottom set a bit until you see a golden color.
- Finish it off in a 400 degree oven, until cheeses melt and bind everything, convection roast if you have it.
- Let it rest before cutting it, I cut my wedges with a pizza cutter.