I know I’m posting this on Meatless Monday, but save it for another day, a midweek meal or even a special occasion, it’s that good, it’s simple to make and the bright colored citrus makes it look elegant and pretty!
It’s filled with juicy fresh lemons and oranges, lots of garlic and herbs and when roasted together the flavors are divine!
I found this recipe on Pinterest and was instantly drawn to it, you can use a whole cut up chicken, other chicken parts or you can adapt the recipe like I did using just the breasts, either way it’s bullet- proof!
- 2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts, or other chicken parts
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, dried
- 1 teaspoon , garlic or onion powder
- red pepper flakes, a good pinch
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup of olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- fresh thyme and rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk together the olive oil, honey, lemon and orange juice,dried seasoning,paprika, red pepper flakes, onion or garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken into a baking dish and pour mixture on top turning to coat all sides, at this point you can let it marinate for a little while if you have the time for even more flavor infusion.
- Arrange the sliced citrus and onion all around and underneath the chicken.
- Place fresh thyme and rosemary throughout and a good drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast uncovered for about an hour or until juices run clear and chicken is fully cooked.