Here’s a fun way to transform a traditional panettone into a spectacular dessert with no baking required. Panettone is an Italian Christmas cake that has a sweet buttery dough filled candied fruits and nuts, just the smell alone when you open the box will drive you wild!
Today we’re going a little over the top and using the pannetone for an Italian version of an ice cream cake. Basically you’re going to hollow out your favorite panettone and then stuff it with some ice cream or gelato.
Leave the paper rim on for stability then either slice off the bottom or the top part right under the dome. Take a serrated knife and cut into the panettone leaving a border around the edges and bottom, scooping out the interior.
At this point you can brush the sides and bottom with some liqueur, but to me the panettone has so much flavor itself that it’s not necessary, but it certainly is an option.
When the panettone is filled to the rim with the ice cream re-attach the lid or bottom back on then wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and stick it into the freezer. I find that overnight works best because you want the ice cream to really firm up so you can have nice clean wedges when cutting into it, so what’s really nice is that this can be made one or even two days ahead.
This is a pretty holiday dessert, nice and easy that will certainly wow your guests!
Follow me on Instagram to see what I’m cooking up during the week.
- 1 large panettone
- 2 pints of gelato, one vanilla and one chocolate, softened (feel free to use any flavor of ice cream or gelato)
- a handful of frozen dark cherries (optional) You can also add nuts or any frozen fruit you like
- liqueur to brush the interior sides ( like amaretto) also optional, definitely not needed.
- Take a sharp serrated knife and turn the panettone upside down and slice an inch off the bottom or if you prefer, make the slice on top right under the dome.You can leave the paper on for stability.
- Then cut around the inside of the bread to hollow it out leaving ½ inch base and sides ( save the bread pieces to munch on).
- Take your softened ice cream and fill the cavity to the top packing it down firmly, then re-attach the lid or bottom securely.
- Wrap the whole panettone in foil or plastic wrap and stick it into the freezer. Best if overnight or even 2 days before so that ice cream is nice and hard.
- Remove from the freezer, unwrap it, removing the paper that's attached to the panettone also, then place on a serving platter and decorate the top..
- Slice into wedges and serve, you can serve with whipped cream, maybe a chocolate sauce, or just as is.