Here’s a simple way to make your chicken breast go from ordinary to extraordinary, yes plain old chicken breast transforms into something intensely flavored and elegant looking all at the same time.
It all happens because of this cheese, Gorgonzola Dolce, have you tried it yet? It’s much more delicate than it’s cousin Gorgonzola Piccante, it’s sweeter and has a nice creamy texture and it melts like butter, it’s perfect for cooking.
Everything happens right on top of the stove, a little white wine, a couple of shallots and crunchy toasted hazelnuts complete the dish.
Add a side of couscous and maybe some roasted grapes, and before you know it you’ll have a meal worthy of a fine restaurant.
Home cooking turned up a notch!
(Proud Italian Cook is now on Instagram, follow along with me to see what I’m cooking up daily.)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded down evenly if too thick
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 1 large or 2 small shallots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Gorgonzola Dolce, 1 small wedge, rind removed and cut into thin slices
- ¾ to 1 cup, TOASTED hazelnuts,cracked into chunky pieces ( you can use toasted walnuts also)
- chives for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a pie dish, dip chicken into flour mixture then shake off, you just need a very light dusting on each side.
- In a heavy skillet that has a lid melt the butter and olive oil together on medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until nicely golden, then transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots and cook for a minute then deglaze with white wine, add half the nuts into the sauce.
- Return chicken back into the pan and lay slices of Gorgonzola Dolce on top'.
- Reduce heat to low, place lid on top and let the cheese melt slow, keep checking until it is al melted but not dripping down into the pan, you want all the cheese to remain on top of the chicken.
- Add remaining toasted nuts on top of cheese topped chicken.
- Garnish with chives.