Oyster mushrooms have a mild earthy flavor with a nice bite, the consistency of a tender Shitake. A little goes a long way when you start slicing them up.
Don’t try and roast them in the oven like I did the first time unless you are on constant vigil, they cook up super fast and before you know it they’ll be all shriveled up. I suggest you saute them in a skillet just until they’re lightly golden brown on each side. The crimini mushrooms can take a roasting in the oven with no problem at all!
- 11x7 inch tart pan with removable bottom
- 5 full sheets of phyllo dough folded in half to make 10 layers
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, well drained
- 1 cup mild goat cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, a mixture of parsley, basil or any other favorites
- 1 lb. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 package of 3 large or 4 medium sized king oyster mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- olive oil and extra grated cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Either spray or brush olive oil onto the tart pan.
- Prepare mushrooms ahead of time by sauteing oyster mushrooms until golden brown and roasting the crimini in a 400 F. oven drizzled with olive oil and tossed with the 1 garlic clove until golden.
- Carefully open up the phyllo dough working with one sheet at a time and keeping the rest covered with a sheet of wax paper.
- Fold one sheet of phyllo in half and place it into tart pan and either spray or brush with olive oil, sprinkle with grated cheese and black pepper. Do this for each layer until 5 full sheets are used which folded in half equals 10 layers. Don't be afraid of phyllo, if it rips continue on it's very forgiving.
- FOR THE CHEESE MIXTURE. Combine ricotta, goat and parmesan in a medium bowl and blend together using a hand mixer, add a drizzle of olive oil to loosen it a bit.
- Fold in herbs and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread cheese mixture all over last phyllo layer.
- Place cooked mushrooms over top.
- Place tart pan on top of a baking sheet and place in the oven at 400 F. for 25 minutes or until phyllo is a nice golden brown.
- Let tart sit for 10 minutes before cutting.