Who couldn’t use a little extra vitamin C, K, Potassium, Calcium, and Iron! Not to mention, it’s very high in phytochemicals, which have the potential for reducing the risk of cancer.
Wikipedia describes it as “nutty, bitter, pungent, an acquired taste”. It is a little bitter, but that’s what makes it so good! I find that blanching it in water for a couple minutes takes some of that bitterness away.
Pairing it with some spicy Italian sausage gives it the perfect balance!
1 lb. of Spicy Italian Sausage, cut up into bite size pieces
1 lb. of Cooked Broccoli Rabe
1lb. Specialty Pasta
Roasted Tomatoes ( Recipe Here)
4 Cloves of Crushed Garlic
1/4 Cup of Garlic Flavored Olive Oil
1 Can of Cannelloni Beans
Grated Romano Cheese
Reserved Broccoli Rabe Water, or a touch of Stock
1. Saute your sausage in the garlic oil along with the crushed garlic, till no longer pink.
2. Add in about a 1/2 cup of the broccoli rabe water or stock. ( you might need a little more)
3. Add beans, and cooked broccoli rabe.
4. Cook pasta al dente, and toss in.
5. Gently toss in some roasted tomatoes, (as many as you want).
6. Season with salt, pepper, and the grated romano, and maybe a little extra olive oil.
Something good to eat while we’re all watching the Presidential Inauguration ceremonies today!