I’m giving you a recipe today that will rock your world, two words … basil butter. You can slather it on just about anything, grilled veggies, fish, chicken, steak, burgers, eggs, pasta, polenta and mashed potatoes just to name a few, and it’s quick and easy to make!
Besides making fresh basil pesto this is another great way to capture the flavors of summer. This is an old Fine Living recipe that never fails. You can shape it into a log by using plastic wrap tightening the ends as if it were a sausage, then refrigerate until firm so you can cut off coins making it easy to spread.
I love it smeared all over fresh corn on the cob, the combination basil, lemon zest and garlic is a match made in heaven!
If you like to see more of what I’m cooking up during the week you can follow me on Instagram here.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet basil
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine the butter, basil, garlic, lemon zest,salt and pepper.
- Mash with a spoon until very well combined, I like to keep turning it with a rubber spatula.
- Use immediately or wrap into a log and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Cut into coins to use on veggies, fish, chicken, burgers, steaks, pasta, polenta, potatoes, eggs or anything else you can think of.
- The butter keeps well in the fridge for 2 weeks or up to a month in the freezer.