Before I get to this very fun and delicious recipe I would like to say I enjoyed all the comments on the Lagostina Round Grill Pan giveaway, lots of inspiration from everyone regarding their favorite things to grill. So without further ado, the winner of the beautiful grill pan is…. LUCIA!!! Congratulations Lucia, I will be contacting you by email to get your address so the company can send the pan directly out to you.
So let’s get on with the recipe. This dish is great for entertaining and is such a fun way to serve little tiny pasta, or pastina as we call it in my family.
Even though you can make this in individual ramekins I prefer the more dramatic presentation using one large bowl, and it’s easier!
This is my version of Michael Chiarello’s recipe for pastina timbale, he used a pound of diced Italian sausage folded into the pasta and sauce, I like using zucchini instead of meat, it’s lighter and I think it pairs well with the delicate pastina. I like to saute it first, get it a nice deep golden brown then fold it into the mixture of pasta, cheese and a nice marinara flavored with garlic and basil, I always opt for homemade but if you can get a good store bought one go ahead, make your life easier!
This is perfect for a summer buffet because you don’t have to worry about it sitting out.
And it tastes crazy good!
Proud Italian Cook is also on Instagram follow me to see what I’m cooking up during the week.
- 1 lb of tiny pasta, I like the round shape
- 4 medium zucchini, all seeds removed and then diced small
- olive oil for sauteeing zucchini, crisping the breadcrumbs and for brushing
- 1 cup of good bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, diced small or grated
- ½ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ cup of grated romano or parmesan cheese
- a sprinkle or 2 of pepperoncino, (optional)
- 3 full cups of prepared marinara sauce, garlic and basil flavored, homemade or an exceptional store bought
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil and parsley leaves for decorating
- In a skillet drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil,add the garlic over medium heat till golden then pour in the breadcrumbs stirring until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes. remove from heat, let it cool then add ¼ cup each of parsley and the grated cheese, then drizzle 2 more tablespoons of oil, toss and mix.
- Brush a large round bowl with olive oil, mine was 8 inches.
- Press breadcrumb mixture along the sides and bottom of the bowl evenly. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and on high heat cook your diced zucchini until nice and golden, keep stirring and watching it only takes a few minutes, set aside.
- Boil your pasta according to package directions, don't overcook it,then drain.
- Heat your sauce at the same time.
- Get a different bowl then add the drained pasta, the sauce, the tablespoon of butter, the ½ cup of grated cheese and the additional ¼ cup of parsley, toss together then fold in the sauteed zucchini.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon mixture into breadcrumb lined bowl, evenly distribute it along the sides and bottom, pressing down lightly.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Un-mold onto a platter then decorate with basil and parsley leaves.